Roof Inspections Are Essential
Commercial Roof Repair Contractors in Austin
Scheduled Maintenance and Inspections are Essential
Regular inspections and maintenance is the best way to avoid major roof issues and help your roof sustain extreme weather conditions. Regular maintenance will also prolong your roof’s lifespan, and a lot of times, allow you to repair your roof instead of replacing it when issues pop up, saving you a lot of money. How often you should have your roof inspected depends on several factors like age, recent weather events, foot traffic on your roof, and any type of conditions that may have been uncovered in past inspections. Normally, you should schedule your roof to be inspected twice per year, in the spring and fall, to ensure that they’re not being forgotten in your day to day life.
Here are some things to remember:
- An inspection should provide a plan for repair any issues that might show problems.
- After a severe storm with strong wind, have your roof inspected for damage, because these type of storms in succession can weaken your roof. Even if the roof appears to have survived a storm intact, there could have been damage or it could have been weakened enough to fail during the next one.
- They should go back to previous areas where repairs have been made in the past to ensure they have held.
- They should make sure to remove any accumulated debris or objects on the roof. Leaves, small branches and other organic material can hold moisture, which can cause deterioration of the materials the roof is made of. If you live in a dry area, keeping debris off your roof will place your property in less risk for fire.
- Keep trees around your property trimmed back so branches don’t scrape the roof and leaves and small branches don’t accumulate on it. Debris on your roof can clog gutters and drains that would force water flow away from your roof.
- Check your gutters, downspouts and drains for twigs, grass, leaves and other objects or debris that will prohibit proper drainage.
- If you’re in an area prone to sever wind storms, make sure your gutters and downspouts include straps to hold them in place and resist uplift.
- Inspect the seals around vents and other roof apparatus to make sure they’re sealed properly. Use flashing cement to seal any gaps that might be visible. You may need to replace the flashing if its been badly damaged or deteriorated, or if you can move your vents back and forth.
- If you have a storm with large hail stones, contact your insurance company about having the roof inspected, even if you can’t see any easily visible damage.
You should bring in a professional commercial roof repair contractor if you think that there could be some concerns after an inspection. The commercial roofing contractor can also help you determine the remaining estimated lifespan of your roof, the roof’s general existing condition and help you develop a maintenance plan moving forward.
Commercial Roofing Services You Can Trust
When you’re hiring your roofing contractor, here’s some things to keep in mind:
- Choose established, properly bonded commercial contractors.
- Get more than one estimate for the services you need.
- Get references that include other commercial properties in your area and follow up on them.
- Make them show you their certificate of insurance and ensure they have current worker’s comp insurance.
- Always check with the Better Business Bureau for any complaints that are open.
- Make sure the estimate is very specific on the scope of work, including disposing of any debris created and cleaning up the grounds after the job is complete.
- If you’re getting a new roof installed, make sure the deck has no deteriorated materials or any areas that are water soaked. Make sure any damaged material replacement is included in the contract.
- Get a warranty in writing and verify the information. Confirm everything that is and isn’t covered in the scope of work and warranties. For future inspections and repairs, keep all records of work performed and warranties.
Your business or personal belongings depend on the proper maintenance and repair of your roof. Keep in mind that a little prevention now can prevent catastrophic roof failure in the future, saving you a lot of inconvenience and expense in the process.
Armadillo Roofing & Exteriors (512) 333-7663, provides commercial roof repair and commercial roof installation services to Austin, Texas and the surrounding area and has been providing services to the area for over 17 years.